Table of Contents
Finding the Best Addiction Medicine Physicians
You’ve made the life-altering decision to seek out treatment for a drug or alcohol addiction. Now that you are ready for treatment, you will probably start your search for rehab on Google. You type in “addiction doctors near me” and are blown away at the sheer number of treatment centers displayed. While it can be overwhelming, there are resources available to help you manage your search for a high quality rehab. First, you need to decide what level of care you should seek. The rule of thumb is that outpatient programs are best for early or mild substance use problems, while moderate to severe addictions are best treated at a residential program.
What Do I Look For in Addiction Treatment Programs?
It is always helpful to check reviews for any rehabs with detox doctors you may be considering. In addition, here is a list of features to look for, which can help guide you toward quality rehab:
- Certifications and accreditations. Ask about if they have CARF or Joint Commission accreditation. Confirm that they are current with state license requirements.
- Licensed staff. Ask about their clinical staff. Do they possess professional licensing for physicians, psychiatrists, psychotherapists, addiction counselors, and clinicians.
- Dual diagnosis. If you have a co-occurring mental health disorder, ask about dual diagnosis treatment.
- Treatment elements. Ask the treatment center to provide a weekly schedule of their therapeutic activities.
- Clean and orderly. If the rehab is local, go and visit the facility. A well-managed recovery program will welcome in-person visits to view the grounds and facilities. The treatment center should be clean and well-organized.
- Family involvement. Treatment programs should include family-focused activities, including family therapy.
- Aftercare. Ask how they support recovery after treatment, such as whether they have alumni events and case management.
What Should I Expect in Detox and Treatment?
The purpose of rehab is to help you break the addiction cycle and learn how to live without the substance. This is a process that takes time and patience because it takes months to break bad habits and create new ones. The more engaged you are while in treatment, the more you will take ownership of your recovery. This involves cooperating with the therapy process, participating in peer group sessions, and actively educating yourself about how addiction works. While you are in treatment, the following activities will help you break the addiction cycle:
- Complete detox and withdrawal. Detox is the starting point for most people entering treatment. The body will purge the substance and undergo a period of discomfort. This takes about a week.
- Participate in the treatment process. The therapy process involves one-on-one therapy sessions, group therapy, and family therapy. You will learn new coping skills during these therapy sessions.
- Attend classes. You will learn about the science of addiction and how drugs and alcohol interact with the brain’s reward system.
- Engage in holistic activities. There are activities that complement the therapy and help you manage stress. These include yoga, meditation techniques, and keeping a journal.
What Therapies Do Addiction Doctors Near Me Use?
A quality rehab will utilize evidence-based therapies. These are psychotherapies that have withstood the scrutiny of research and clinical trials. They have been shown to be safe and to provide measurable benefits. The most common therapies used in addiction treatment are:
- CBT: CBT considers your cognitive (thoughts) and behavioral (actions) functions. The CBT therapist guides you toward changing the dysfunctional thought-behavior patterns that keep them trapped in substance use. Once these are identified, you are taught how to reshape negative thoughts into more positive, constructive thoughts and actions.
- MET: MET is an approach that helps you overcome any resistance to making the behavioral changes necessary in recovery. During the intake interview, the clinician may notice this ambivalence and then helps persuade you to embrace recovery.
- DBT DBT helps you shift negative self-talk toward acceptance of yourself. DBT helps you make improvements in four key areas. These are mindfulness, improving interpersonal effectiveness, learning to better regulate emotions, and improving distress tolerance.
- CM: CM is a rewards-based therapy that incentives in exchange for continued sobriety. Rewards are used for behavioral conditioning, or to help reinforce your resolve to remain sober. Rewards may be gift cards, special privileges, or a point system where you work toward a prize.
What Happens After Addiction Treatment?
When making your recovery plan, be sure to include aftercare in the broader plan. Aftercare is the group of post-treatment actions you will take to reinforce recovery. These usually include:
- Sober living. A sober living home is a good idea if your home environment is not supportive of recovery.
- Outpatient treatment. Stepping down to outpatient therapy helps you continue with active recovery efforts.
- Joining a recovery community. Finding a local A.A. or similar recovery community offers social support.
- Forming new sober friendships. In recovery, you’ll need new friends who also prioritize sobriety like you.
- Forming new healthy lifestyle habits. Tending to your health and wellness makes you stronger, and also helps maintain stable mental health.
How to Find an Addiction Doctor Near Me that Takes My Insurance
The cost of rehab is one of the hardest barriers to overcome when wanting to get help for an addiction. However, if you have health insurance, you likely have at least some level of coverage for detox and treatment. All health insurers now must, by law, provide some degree of coverage for substance abuse and mental health treatment. The first step is to call your insurance provider and ask them for details about what the plan does and does not cover. They can also provide you with an estimate for your out-of-pocket expenses, so you can make a plan.
LifeSync Malibu Addiction Doctors Near Me
LifeSync Malibu is a trusted addiction treatment provider that utilizes the most effective therapies available. If you are searching for addiction doctors near me, LifeSync Malibu is here to offer guidance and support. Please reach out to us today at (866) 491-4426.